"There has been a lot of reorganizing in the past year, but things are starting to fall into place around the garage. For the past year the team has been in a state of waiting—the North American Solar Challenge was postponed due to funding difficulties, and there were no regulations to speak of. This past September, team members traveled to Topeka, Kansas to discuss the next rayce and new regulations. The "What’s Next" meeting helped pound out some rough details of the rayce, and gave us something to look forward to. In January, race officials finally released preliminary rayce regulations, and it was time to get to work! Our teams have been rushing to get design work done on an accelerated timetable. It is a daunting task, but we will be raycing with the sun in the Summer of 2008! The team has been keeping busy for the past year with outreach events, testing, and sprucing up our workspace. We have repainted the garage floor in black and white checkers, cleaned out the front office and rearranged (a task that was much overdue), and sent PrISUm Spectrum to the Science Center of Iowa for display. We also recently purchased a new trailer for our car! This summer, the team plans to tour Iowa once again for an event called ‘SunRun.’ The team will drive Fusion, our eighth solar car, around Iowa, visiting schools and other venues to showcase our project, and get the word out about renewable energy! This event is also a good opportunity to practice driving a solar car in an environment similar to that of NASC."
- Pulled from the 2007 SunDial article written by former project director Sarah Kelly
FSGP/ASC 2008 - FSGP 2009
2009 Formula Sun Grand Prix: 7th place
2008 North American Solar Challenge: 8th place
2008 Formula Sun Grand Prix: unknown
The 2008 North American Solar Challenge started in Austin, Texas and ended in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Day 1: Sun, July 13: Start in Plano, Texas; must reach McAlester, Oklahoma checkpoint.
- Day 2: Mon, July 14: Finish in Neosho, Missouri.
- Day 3: Tue, July 15: Start in Neosho, MO; must reach Topeka, Kansas checkpoint.
- Day 4: Wed, July 16: Must reach Omaha, Nebraska checkpoint.
- Day 5: Thu, July 17: Finish in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- Day 6: Fri, July 18: Start in Sioux Falls, SD; must reach Fargo, North Dakota checkpoint.
- Day 7: Sat, July 19: Finish in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Day 8: Sun, July 20: Start in Winnipeg, MB; must reach Brandon, MB checkpoint.
- Day 9: Mon, July 21: Must reach Regina, Saskatchewan checkpoint; finish in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
- Day 10: Tue, July 22: Start in Medicine Hat, AB; Finish in Calgary, AB.
The 2008 and 2009 Formula Sun Grand Prix were held at the Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, Texas.