"With the end of one project comes the beginning of another. We lose many past team members to college graduation, the inevitability of life here at Iowa State. However, we are fortunate enough to have a large number of past team members returning, and new team members, fresh to the college scene, joining the project. I see new team members, looking to find a home at Iowa State University. Looking for a place to add to their college career, and give meaning to their time at ISU. Many of these new members have already made the solar car garage their second home, and have become part of the Team PrISUm family. I also see ‘old’ team members, returning to the team to give it one more shot. These people have already found a place on the team, and return to the playing field as leaders, determined to make the most of the next two years of their lives. After being part of PrISUm Spectrum, these veterans know what must be done to be successful, and have been key in getting a good jump on the current project. Putting these two groups of people together, we get the crew of P8, Team PrISUm’s eighth solar car project. I look forward to working alongside this new team, and I am very pleased to see such a great group of people working on Team PrISUm. I am very proud to be part of this team, and am excited to see what the next two years holds in store for us!"
- Pulled from the 2004 SunDial article written by former project director Justin Steinlage
2005 North American Solar Challenge: 11th place
2005 Formula Sun Grand Prix: 2nd place overall, 1st place stock class
The 2005 North American Solar Challenge started in Austin, Texas and ended in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Day 1: Sun, July 17: Start in Austin, Texas; finish in Weatherford, TX.
- Day 2: Mon, July 18: Start in Weatherford, TX.
- Day 3: Tue, July 19: Must reach Broken Arrow, Oklahoma checkpoint.
- Day 4: Wed, July 20: Must reach Topeka, Kansas checkpoint; must reach Omaha, Nebraska checkpoint.
- Day 5: Thu, July 21: Must reach Sioux Falls, South Dakota checkpoint.
- Day 6: Fri, July 22: Must reach Fargo, North Dakota checkpoint.
- Day 7: Sat, July 23: Finish in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Day 8: Sun, July 24: Start in Winnipeg, MB; must reach Brandon, MB checkpoint.
- Day 9: Mon, July 25: Must reach Regina, Saskatchewan checkpoint;
- Day 10: Tue, July 26: Finish in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
- Day 11: Wed, July 27: Start in Medicine Hat, AB; Finish in Calgary, AB.
The 2005 Formula Sun Grand Prix was held at the Heartland Park race complex in Topeka, Kansas.